Haluatko nähdä sivun sisällön kielellä Suomi?
Kyllä
Ei

Toxic and dangerous foods

 

Some of the foods that are harmless to humans are dangerous to animals, because animal bodies break these substances down more slowly or in a different way than human bodies do. Generally, poisoning results in vomiting, diarrhea, breathing difficulties, or cramping. In addition to poisoning, some foods can damage a dog's body in the long term. 

 

  • Alcohol: A dog's body cannot tolerate alcohol at all; even small quantities damages the liver. The poisoning symptoms are the same as with any other poisoning. 
  • Avocado: The size of a harmful dose is unknown, so avocado should not be given to dogs at all. Avocado causes fluid retention in the chest cavity, resulting in breathing difficulties. Otherwise, the symptoms are normal poisoning symptoms.
  • Yeast and yeast-containing dough expand inside the pet's stomach, causing pain. Yeast also releases ethanol, which is very dangerous for dogs. (Cf. alcohol) 
  • Fish (raw): If a dog eats raw fish constantly, it will cause thiamine deficiency. This deficiency can cause neurological symptoms, such as cramps or wide pupils. Furthermore, your pet could get tapeworm from any freshwater fish that has not been cooked or frozen.
  • Macadamia nuts can be found for example in some biscuits. They cause poisoning symptoms for dogs. 
  • Milk contains lactose. The majority of adult pets are unable to digest lactose, so ingesting milk causes stomach pains and diarrhea. 
  • Caffeine is mostly found in coffee, but also in tea, and cola drinks. It has the same effect as the theobromine in chocolate. 
  • Xylitol: In a dog's body, xylitol causes excessive insulin secretion, resulting in a drastic drop of blood glucose, and the dog lapses into a hypoglycemic shock. In addition to other possible poisoning symptoms, the dog will generally get cramps, and it will shake violently due to hypoglycemia. Furthermore, xylitol can cause liver damage for dogs. 
  • Onion causes anemia, i.e. a reduction in the amount of red blood cells. Onion is harmful in all forms: raw, cooked, or powdered. A large amount of onion causes similar symptoms to other types poisoning, immediately after eating onion. Anemic changes can develop over the course of a few days. The mucous membranes of an anemic animal are light or yellow, the animal could have difficulties breathing, their urine can be dark, and the pet will seem weak overall.
  • Chocolate: The theobromine in chocolate causes poisoning. The darker the chocolate is, the more theobromine it contains, and the smaller amount is necessary to cause poisoning. Cocoa powder can also cause poisoning, even in small amounts. In addition to general poisoning symptoms, chocolate can result in increased levels of urination. 
  • Garlic also contains substances that cause anemia, just like the ordinary onion. The only acceptable form of garlic for dogs, is Aged Garlic Extract (AGE), which has been produced by enzymatic maturing and doesn't contain the harmful tiosulphates, which are the cause for anemia. 
  • Grapes and raisins can cause sudden poisoning, if the dog has ingested these in an excessively large quantity. Smaller portions can cause kidney damage, which will affect the pet's life in long term. This sort of poisoning manifests itself in ordinary poisoning symptoms, while kidney damage is evident in the reduction or complete stop of urination. 

 

Other

  • Cooked bones: Bones are a goof source of calcium. The bones should be raw, when served to the dog. Cooked bones' structure alters, and they do not digest the same way that raw bones do. Cooked bones can remain extremely sharp in the colon, and even puncture or rupture the colon or stomach. 
  • Human medicines: Many human medicines are toxic to dogs. The metabolism of a dog is different from human's, and the intestinal organs of a dog can't process drug molecules the same way than human's organs do. Don't give human painkillers to your dog, if the dog limps etc. For example, a common drug Ibuprofen, is very toxic to dogs. If you suspect, that your dog is in pain, contact your local vet.

 

 

 

What to do if my dog ate something dangerous?

  • Vomiting: If the dog ate the unhealthy ingredient just a while ago, you can try to make to dog vomit by giving it salt. The dosage of salt is 1 tea spoon / 10 weight kilograms of the dog. If the dog doesn't vomit immediately, don't double the dosage. Salt can be harmful in larger quantities.
  • Milk: Neutralizes some toxins.
  • Activated (medical) charcoal: You can feed the dog medical charcoal, which absorbs toxins into itself, and neutralizes them. Ask for the proper dosage from your local pharmacy.
  • Aspargus: In a case, where the dog has been eating something sharp (for example cooked bones), you can try to feed aspargus to the dog. Dogs can't digest aspasrgus, and the long fibers of the plant get wrapped around the sharp object, protecting the colon.
  • Vitamin K can be given to a dog, which has been eating rat poison, but doesn't have any symptoms yet. If you suspect, that your dog has been eating rat poison, contact your local vet immediately!
  • Always contact your vet, if you suspect a poisoning or a foreign / sharp object in the stomach or colon.
Read next Dog sports & training tips →